• Cultural

Hiking " Circuits des chapelles"

Circuit traversing the very rich religious heritage of the village. On the path, church, chapels, oratories, crosses and the famous cave of Maupas: imitation of the cave of Lourdes.

Cultural Hiking " Circuits des chapelles" Bernex


Departing from Bernex (74500)
Average length : 03h00
Total elevation gain : 288m
Vertical drop : 288m
Distance : 8km
Signed walking trail
Animals allowed

1st step : Saint-Ours church. It was built by François Giransli between 1848 and 1851 on the site of a smaller and much older church in order to rebuild a larger and more imposing one. Some Bernolanders call it the "Chateau Fort", probably because of its massive appearance and its dungeon-like bell tower. The interior of the church has three altars, the one on the right is dedicated to Saint Anthony and the one on the left to Mary Mother of God. In the center, the main altar is dedicated to St. Bear, always patron and protector of the valley since the origin of the first Christian community.
2nd stage : oratory of Songeon. This oratory was built by the inhabitants of the village after enormous floods, in honor of the Virgin Mary, as a sign of gratitude for the protection of the houses of this hamlet. In 1870, the Buttay families built a small stone chapel in the center of the hamlet, with a small bell tower topped by a cross and a rooster, dedicated first to Saint Philomène and later to Saint Joseph. 4th step: chapel of the Visitation of Creusaz. This chapel located in the center of the hamlet of Creusaz at 1131 meters of altitude, carries the date of 1841 engraved on the external font. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and her cousin Elizabeth.
5th step: the cross of Charmet. It marks the place of the plague cemetery. It is a work of ironwork made with old-fashioned blacksmith's tools. It represents the supplicated Christ.
6th step: the oratory chapel of the "Peillex Gainneraz" at Maupas. Located on the banks of the Ugine, this oratory chapel remains an interesting enigma as to its origin and history. Until the 1940s, it was the site of annual processions and prayers. It is currently the private property of a family whose direct descendants no longer live in Bernex. This chapel is perhaps the testimony of the former location of the first church which was abandoned after the passage of the plague and rebuilt further down the valley. This place was nicknamed Malpasset or Maupas, which means "bad passage" or "bad past".

Total elevation gain : 288m
Altitude max : 1160m
Vertical drop : 288m

Map references

TOP 25 IGN 3528 ET

Further informations

Ground, Hard coating (tar, cement, flooring)

    1 3

    1/ Saint-Ours Church. At the cross on your left, take the path going up towards the hamlet of Songeon.
    2/ Oratory of Songeon. Go back to the cross. Turn left and go straight ahead. At the intersection, take the left road towards Chez Buttay.
    3/ Chapel of Saint Philomène and Saint Joseph. At the exit of the chapel, turn left and continue to climb up to the cross. Go straight on and take the "old road" that leads to Creusaz. Follow the road to the chapel, recognizable by its typical Chablais bell tower.
    4/ Chapel of the Visitation of Creusaz. Possibility to go to the oratory and to the cross of Creusaz which is a few steps away from the chapel. Take the main road and go up to the parking of the restaurant "l'Alpage". Continue on the track below Mount Caesar, then at the entrance of the forest take the path on the right. Go down to the hamlet of Charmet, at the last crossroads, continue straight ahead to reach the main road. Turn left.
    5/ The cross of Charmet. Continue on the road in the direction of the restaurant de la Chevrette and cross the bridge. Take the small path on the left to reach the chapel of Maupas.
    6/ Chapel of the "Peillex Gainneraz" at Maupas, located on the banks of the Ugine. Take the road and go along it.


    Free access.


    Animals allowed
    Not adapted to strollers

    Pets allowed on a lead.

    Period of practice

    From 13/03 to 30/11.
    Accessible outside the snowy period and depending on the weather conditions. Please check with the Tourist Office beforehand to find out the current access conditions.

    • Pets welcome
    • Parking nearby


    village de Bernex 74500 Bernex
    Departing from : Bernex (74500)
    Latitude : 46.360228 - Longitude : 6.675052

    Departure from the church of Bernex, in the centre of the village

    Information update on 09/03/2024 by Office de Tourisme Leman Mountains Explore