• Historic site and monument

Eglise Saint-Sigismond (church): Open access

The first church, perched on a hill, was replaced in the 13th-14th centuries by a Romanesque building, constructed at the foot of the hill. The church was extended between 1675 and 1678 and today features a chancel and vaulted ceiling adorned with a host of holy characters.

Historic site and monument Eglise Saint-Sigismond (church): Open access Aime-la-Plagne


Aime-la-Plagne (73210)
Guided individual tours on request

The building, which was modified during the 17th century, retains a few elements of the original church - most notably, the ogive arches above the side entrance door - constructed in the 15th century at the foot of Saint-Sigismond hill. The main portal, made from grey marble extracted from the nearby Vilette quarry, is directly inspired by the principles laid down by François Cuenot in his 1660 book on architecture.
The trompe l'oeil paintings on the vaulted ceiling were commissioned in the mid 19th century and executed by three brothers: Alexandre, Auguste and Antoine Artari, artists from Valsesia in the Piedmont region. They represent the four major Old Testament prophets, the Evangelists and the Four Fathers of the Latin Church.
The sculptor, Jean-Baptiste Delponte, rebuilt the main altarpiece in 1813 using those elements of the original altarpiece, designed by Jacques Clérant , that escaped the destruction of the French Revolution as well drawings of the early altarpiece. In the centre, is a 1803 painting by Jean-Pierre Tosi of the Nativity of the Virgin, framed by twisted columns adorned with grape vines and rose bushes, with Saint Peter on one side and Saint Paul on the other.
The second register pays tribute to Saint Grat, frequently invoked to protect harvests and Saint Roch, who offered protection against plague, accompanied by Saint Jacques (John) and Saint-François-de-Sales. The pulpit, which was carved by Jean-François Bernard in 1705, and the choir stalls created by Pierre Chanu in 1728 - used for addressing the congregation and providing seating for revolutionary officials - were saved in 1794, unlike the altarpieces: the six that you can see in the side aisles are Neo-classical style, 19th century restorations.

Group bookings available on request.
Contact: david.dereani@fondation-facim.fr (+33 (0)4 79 60 58 99)

Documentation available in French and English


Free of charge


Languages visits : German, English, French, Italian


All year round, daily between 9 am and 6 pm.

Labels and rating

Town of Art & History
19th C
17th C
18th C

  • Car park
  • Private parking


73210 Aime-la-Plagne
Information update on 15/04/2024 by Fondation Facim