• Historic site and monument

Chapel du Gollet

The Gollet Chapel was built in 1664 through financing from Nobleman Claude Dufresney. Its patron saints are Saint Anne, Saint Joseph and Saint Claude, a Bishop from the Jura region.

Historic site and monument Chapel du Gollet Saint-Gervais-les-Bains


Saint-Gervais-les-Bains (74170)
Guided individual tours on request

There are two windows and an oculus on the façade which is protected by an eave decorated with lambrequins. A mission cross is planted in front and engraved with decorations and Latin inscriptions, evoking the 1826 mission that took place in Saint-Gervais.

    1 1

    The chapel is dedicated to Saint Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary, Saint Joseph, her husband, and Saint Claude, bishop of the Jura. Its altar is surmounted by an altarpiece with fluted columns decorated with a painting depicting the Virgin Mary with her parents, Anne and Joachim, as well as God the Father and the dove of the Holy Spirit. Mary is recognisable by her halo, the moon beneath her feet and the lily held out to her by her father, Saint Joachim. Her mother is holding her hand, and all are looking on as God the Father emerges from the clouds and the dove of the Holy Spirit. Four other paintings decorate the walls of the chapel: a penitent Magdalene praying before a crucifix, an Annunciation to the Virgin by the Angel Gabriel, a Presentation of Jesus in the Temple and an Ecstasy of Saint Theresa accompanied by two cherubs.

    These four paintings form a coherent whole, with identical dimensions and signatures. During the restoration work in 2021-2022, it was confirmed that two of them were copies of paintings by Carle Van Loo: the Annunciation in the church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris, painted in 1746, and the Adoration of the Magi in Notre-Dame de l'Assomption in Paris, painted in 1739. Despite the presence of the monogram VLB on the back of each painting, the identity of the copyist has not been determined.

    Several statues that were once in the chapel are now on display at the Musée d'Art Sacré de Saint-Nicolas de Véroce.


    Free access.


    Languages spoken : French


    From 15/06 to 31/10, daily.

    Labels and rating



    261 route du Bettex 74170 Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
    Information update on 23/02/2024 by Office de Tourisme de Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc