• Historic site and monument

Castle of Bonneville

The castle of Bonneville also called Castle of the Sires of Faucigny is located on a rocky hillock at the foot of the Mole, built in the 13th century around 1260 by Beatrice de Faucigny on the advice of her father Peter II.

Historic site and monument Castle of Bonneville Bonneville


Bonneville (74130)
Animals not allowed
Average duration of an individual visit : 00h45

It is the only surviving example of medieval Savoyard military architecture in the Savoy region

This vast building oriented East-West corresponds to the regular plan known as "Savoyard square": a quadrilateral with a cylindrical tower at each corner. Only two corner towers remain, linked by a curtain wall of 18 meters to the east. On the south wall, one can observe a Gothic window with double ogive, probably corresponding to the ceremonial room of the castle.
Successively a seigneurial residence and then a count's residence, it became the seat of the châtellenie, following the fire of 1392 which destroyed the dwellings.
From the 16th century, the castle was transformed into a prison, which saved it from ruin. It kept this assignment until 1934 and during the Second World War.
The castle marks the birth of Bonneville and remains one of its most remarkable monuments. It has been listed in the Inventory of Historic Monuments since 1987.

Its renovation continues every year.

    1 3


    Free access. Guided tours, storytelling and theatrical visits for a fee (from 2 to 5 euros).


    Animals not allowed
    Languages spoken : French
    Languages visits : French
    Languages informatives signs : French


    Closed temporarily.

    Labels and rating

    13th C

    • Shop
    • Permanent entertainments organiser
    • Tourist brochures
    • Tourist information
    • Parking
    • Camper van reception area
    • Orientation board
    • Toilets


    104 place de l'église 74130 Bonneville

    • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
    • Incline >5% but reasonable
    Motor Disability

    The access ramp allows you to reach the entrance of the castle. The courtyard is composed of gravel and grass (all-terrain wheels on the chair required)

    Information update on 17/04/2024 by Office de Tourisme Faucigny Glières