• Historic site and monument

Saint Germain church

The actual Saint Germain church was built in 1899 in a neo-gothic style. It hosts the Organ of Clément Dumont from 1832-1834 which is classified as a historic monument with its 23 rolls.

Historic site and monument Saint Germain church Montagny

About

Montagny (73350)

The church dedicated to Saint Germain was rebuilt in the 17th century, in a new style (the roman building was partially destroyed and only the bottom of the church tower was remaining). It was consecrated the 25th of August 1686. Since the 18th century, some cracks in the vault and in the walls were subject to expert visits. In the 19th century, emergency repairs have been done. But with the underground subsiding, the building was at risk of collapsing entirely. In 1899, it was decided to rebuild the church in a different location, on the east of the town.
The church was destroyed but the church’s tower is still standing in the cemetery nowadays.

In a neo-gothic style, during 3 years, the contractor Pierre Benedetto, helped by several volunteers, built a new church. It was unveil and blessed in October 1903 by Your Grace La Croix.
The bells were transferred later, in December 1920. In the same time, the Monument for the fallen of the Great War was erected on the Place de l’Eglise.

And it is in 2007 that the town council decided to « offer » a new spire to its bell. The actual spire is covered with copper. It was put in place the 5th of July 2007 admirated by the town’s inhabitants!

    1 2

    Prices

    Free access.

    Reception

    Languages spoken : French

    Opening

    All year round, daily.

    Labels and rating

    19th C
    Neo-gothic

    Equipments
    • Public WC
    • Car park

    Access

    73350 Montagny

    More informations

    Information update on 24/12/2021 by Communauté de Communes Val Vanoise - Vallée de Bozel Tourisme