• Historic site and monument

Priory of Contamine sur Arve

The priory of Contamine sur Arve, the necropolis of the Sires of Faucigny and a Cluniac site is established in 1083 by Guy of Faucigny, bishop of Geneva.
This is the only Gothic church ( English and Welsh architecture), from the XIIIth century in Savoy.

Historic site and monument Priory of Contamine sur Arve Contamine-sur-Arve

About

Contamine-sur-Arve (74130)
Guided individual tours on request
Average duration of an individual visit : 01h30

It's in the wake of Pierre II of Savoy, in the XIIIth century that many Savoyard are traveling in England and Wales.

From theses discussions, now we have the church of the priory, built by the architect Jacques de St Georges. You will see some elements of the English architecture which is applied for the first and last time in Savoy.

In Savoy, this church is unusual. The rectangular and gemel windows and its tracery are under a lintel, itself situated under a drop arch used as discharging arch. All theses elements of English military architecture are applied to the church of Contamine sur Arve for the first and last time in our region.

    1 2

    Guided tour are organized (only in French), don't hesitate to ask for it.

    Prices

    Full price: 5 €.

    Methods of payment accepted : Bank/credit card, Check, Cash

    Reception

    Languages spoken : French
    Languages visits : French

    Opening

    All year round, daily.

    Labels and rating

    13th C
    Cluny place

    Equipments
    • Parking
    • Car park

    Access

    Impasse des Croses 74130 Contamine-sur-Arve

    • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
    • Doors >=77 cm wide
    • Absence of protrusions > 2 cm
    • Absence of steps

    More informations

    Information update on 03/02/2021 by Office de Tourisme Faucigny Glières