• Historic site and monument

Church of the Holy Trinity

The church was built by the Italian builder Domenico Gualino and completed in 1759, as shown on the four cast-iron tie rods at the corners of the façade. The church's interior remained unfinished at this time and its interior decoration dates from 1847.

Historic site and monument Church of the Holy Trinity Les Contamines-Montjoie

About

Les Contamines-Montjoie (74170)
Unguided individual tours available permanently
Guided individual tours on request

The spire was added in 1845.
The square bell-tower was built on a tower of the ancient Montjoie castle that guarded the entrance to the Bonhomme mountain pass. The porch roof informs us that the church is dedicated to the Holy-Trinity, an uncommon dedication for a church in this part of Europe.
The funds for its construction came mostly from emmigrants. The church survived the French Revolution, the annexation (of the Mont-Blanc departement ) and the Napoleonic wars without damage.
The secret of making the original tinplate scales has been lost, so the roofing has been renovated using with stainless steel.
The church was immortalized in 1802 by the famous english painter Turner.
Its most recent renovation was carried out by Edouard Borga in 1976.

Extract from “Les Contamines at the beginning of the century” by an amateur photographer, Dr. Ancelet, the first doctor to live in the village.

Dates 2009?????????????????

    1 1

    Prices

    Free of charge.

    Reception

    Languages visits : English, French
    Languages informatives signs : French

    Opening

    From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.

    Labels and rating

    Baroque

    Services
    • Tour free of charge

    Access

    Route de Notre-Dame de la Gorge 74170 Les Contamines-Montjoie
    Information update on 17/03/2022 by Office de Tourisme des Contamines-Montjoie