Eglise Saint Jean-Baptiste
Phone : +33 4 50 21 22 11
Built at the same time as the Priory founded by the Benedictine monks in 1085, our church consists of 3 parts each corresponding to a different era. Listed as an Historical Monument, it is one of the most original in the region.
A first building, of which the exact construction date remains unknown, is mentioned in Megeve from 1202. The 3 main parts of the church as it is now, date back to three different eras :
- the choir, late gothic style, dates back to the end of the XIVth century
- the nave was entirely rebuilt at the end of the XVIIth century
- the pre nave dates back to the 1870s.
The vaults, 1828, are decorated with paintings by the Italian artist Mucengo. The bulb-shaped bell tower was built in the XVIIIth century and partly rebuilt during the Sard Restoration. The Way of the Cross is the work of Gimel (1956). The stained-glass windows date back to 1959. The organ, inaugurated in 1842, is the work of the well known brothers Joseph and Claude Ignace-Callinet, members of a renowned tradition of organ builders who marked the pre-romantic era. Since its restoration in 2004, this magnificent instrument has recovered most of its original caracteristics.
From 13/04 to 31/12/2019, daily between 9 am and 7 pm.
Place du village
Times of services: Saturday at 6.30pm, Sunday at 10.30am.
Du lundi au vendredi de 9h à 12h30 et de 13h30 à 17h30