- 6 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 75g cornflour
- 1 unwaxed lemon (for zest)
- some butter (to grease the tin)
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180°C).
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add the sugar to the yolks and beat well until the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour and cornflour, and finally the lemon zest.
- Beat the egg whites until very stiff and fold them gently into the mixture.
- Grease a high-sided baking tin and pour in the cake mix.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes (test by piercing the cake with a skewer, which should come out clean).
- Turn the cake out of the tin and leave it to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.